Welcome to Glen Parva Parish Council
Under the Local Government Act 1894, Glen Parva became a civil parish within the rural District of Blaby; previously it was included in the Aylestone Ecclesiastical Parish.
The original settlement was undoubtedly near The Ford by the River Sence in that part of the present parish know as Glen Ford and that part of its name Glen - was possibly derived from the old name of the river, Glen (Glenne or Glenna), whilst the latin part - Parva (little or small) - was possibly added to distinguish it from another bigger settlement higher up the river valley of Great Glen (Glen Magna).
Although a minor find of a Roman coin and pottery was made several years ago, there is no definite evidence of any Roman settlement in the present parish.
The discovery, however, in 1866 of a stone vaulted grave containing a skeleton together with various ornaments indicating a female of high Saxon rank and later, in 1871, in the same area of two other graves containing male skeletons, one with a sword and spearhead, indicated the presence of an Anglo-Saxon burial ground of around 500 AD. The site of this burial ground some distance from the settlement near Glen was in the area now known as Woodbank, where there was formerly a sandpit on the southerly slope of the hiss rising from the river.
There is strong evidence of the existence of a Medieval village in the Glen Ford area.
It is possible that the Great Plague epidemic of 1626 so reduced the population of the village that it almost ceased to exist as such, for even as late as 1877 there were only 152 persons living in 28 houses in the whole of the ecclesiastical parish of Glen Parva.
Glen Parva has now fully developed into a Parish with a population of approximately 5500, but the area around Glen Ford, however, still retains traces of the original hamlet.
Opened in June 2002, the Memorial Gardens are situated adjacent to the Hall, overlooking the playing field and children's play area. The gardens offer a peaceful and pretty area for members of the public to sit, relax and enjoy.
Parish Council Office
- 0116 277 1450
HOW TO FIND US
1. PUBLIC TRANSPORT.
Leave Leicester City Centre by Arriva Bus Service No 84, 84A or 85 from Charles Street. Alight at Leicester Road/Carvers Corner. Cross Leicester Road at the nearby pedestrian crossing and proceed along Dorothy Avenue. The Parish Council Offices and Glen Parva War Memorial Hall are situated at the end of Dorothy Avenue, adjacent to the car park and playing field. (www.arrivabus.co.uk)
2. BY CAR FROM LEICESTER CITY CENTRE.
Leave the City of Leicester, following the A426 along Aylestone Road which will lead onto Lutterworth Road. At the Soar Valley way cross roads, carry straight on, leading to Leicester Road, Glen Parva. Dorothy Avenue is the third turning on the right hand side from the cross roads. The Parish Council Offices and Glen Parva War Memorial Hall are situated at the end of Dorothy Avenue, adjacent to the car park and playing field. A vehicle height restriction barrier of 2 metres is in place.
3. BY CAR FROM M1/M69 MOTORWAY, JUNCTION 21.
Leave the M1/M69 motorway at Junction 21 and exit on to the A5460 towards Leicester. Merge on to the Lubbesthorpe Way/A563 via the ramp to the Ring Road. Continue along the A563 on to the Soar Valley Way, passing Fosse Park Shopping Centre. At the cross roads, turn right at the traffic lights on to the A426, Lutterworth Road, leading to Leicester Road, Glen Parva. Dorothy Avenue is the third turning on the right hand side from the cross roads. The Parish Council Offices and Glen Parva War Memorial Hall are situated at the end of Dorothy Avenue, adjacent to the car park and playing field. A
vehicle height restriction barrier of 2 metres is in place.
- Parish Events
For details of all up coming events click the link above.
If you require any information from this site in a different format please contact the Parish Clerk.